So, I mentioned this Broadway musical called Hamilton last week…was it only last week? It’s only be a few weeks since I first started listening to it, but already it seems forever. Anyway, I absolutely love this musical. The characters. The emotion. The music…
Hamilton is a rap/hip-hop musical about the life of Alexander Hamilton. I know, how on earth does rap/hip-hop go with the story of a founding father? My mother looked at me really weird when I told her that. Then she stay up until 2:00 a.m., listening to the whole thing in one sitting once my sister and I got her started on it.
Not that I normally listen to this kind of music anyway. But really, this musical is a mix of about every kind of music I can think of: instrumental, electronic, rap…which I never thought I cared for, but it’s not rock music and it’s not weird and whispery. It’s more like a chant with rhythm than anything else.
However, I will say that Hamilton is not for everyone. I would consider it a PG-13 type of musical. There’s some crudeness and inferences, and there is some language…though if one listens to the ‘clean version’ (I know, that makes sound as if the original is awful) most of it is cut out.
1. The music. The songs are very catchy and I enjoy them.
2. The characters and emotion and theme and story. The way the story is told… The way the characters are shown as flawed and yet the songs make you care for them… The way the themes run through the whole musical, from Hamilton’s non-stop action to Burr’s ‘wait for it’.
3. You learn quite a bit of history. For example, I now know that John Jay wrote 5 of the Federalist Papers, James Madison wrote 29, and Alexander Hamilton wrote the other 51!
4. Hamilton was a writer, so writing is mentioned in some of the songs,
‘how do you write like you’re running out of time…’ Love those parts!
1. Some insinuation and crudeness
2. Some language
3. The lyrics will run through your head all night
I’m not excusing (or apologizing) for the cons of this musical. I don’t like them, but it’s like watching some movies. Each family has their own standard of how much they will allow in a movie or music or book for it to be acceptable. I will leave it to you to decide if you want plunge into this musical or not. For myself, I would recommend it if your standards accept it.
Again, that sounds horrible, as if only someone with loose standards would listen to it. That is not what I’m saying…this isn’t coming out right. Do you get what I’m saying?
because I can and love them
These photos are all from Pinterest
Well, what about you? Have you listened to Hamilton? If you have, what do you think? If you haven’t, do you think this is something you will listen to?