Plans tend to change. Life happens, or marketing. Or people. It’s annoying.
Still, it’s life so I deal with it. Mainly with sarcasm and laughing everything because something can’t be too bad if you’re still able to make fun of it.
Not that life has been terrible. I’m just rambling. I also rewrote my twenty-year writing plan.
The bad news is that I’m setting aside Fidelyon for a little bit. I finished this read-through and ended up clipping nearly 50,000 words. But it’s still 50,000 words over what I want it to be. I’m pleased with the theme and characters, but I’ve mixed feelings about the plot. Since it’s based off one of my first novels, the first two parts used to be a single book. Then it changed and now it’s the first third. The plot progresses naturally, yet at the same time it’s not as connected between the beginning and ending as I’d like it to be. So I’m letting it sit for a few months while I think about it. I might let a few people read it too, then hopefully figure out a way to fix it without rewriting the whole thing again.
The sad news is that I’m not writing Scarlet Rose right now. I wanted to, but I realized I was trying to write a futuristic trilogy at the very time I was establishing my style as a fantasy author… with everything after Scarlet Rose being fantasy again. Don’t get me wrong, I’m going to write Scarlet Rose at some point. I’m hoping to tinker with it in all my mounds of spare time. Just not yet.
The good news is that I’m starting a new book! Imagine that. Disguised for Peace is a full-length, stand-alone fantasy novel. It’s one I’ve been thinking about for several years now (though I have a surprising lack of plot to show for it). Jethren heads to Thalas to stop a war between the neighboring nations and ends up the servant to a usurping prince as part of the process of his investigation. Or something like that. I’m still working on it
You can check out the Pinterest board here. Because pictures are always fun.
- Finished most corrections on The Stealthmaster’s Shadow
- Created a monthly system and constellations for Marsadon
- Finished correcting Fidelyon for a grand total of 48,071 words clipped; it is now 193,335 words long.
- Set up coaching on my website! *grins* have you seen the new homepage?
Goals for April:
- Send off The Stealthmaster’s Shadow for editing
- Get Disguised for Peace outlined and started
- Random marketing things for The Stealthmaster’s Shadow
- Why is England so foggy? I’m worldbuilding; don’t make me explain why
- Why is Australia so dry? see above
- Coriolis effect wind like… what would happen if the world spun on a north/south axis?
- How to pronounce *insert* a dozen names because cool looking words sometimes sound weird
Randomness… oh, wait – Coaching
I’m now coaching on writing! I’ve unofficially helped writers for a few years now. In recent months, I’ve been coaching writing once a week with three students for Kingdom Pen. Now, I’m offering to coach from my own website. You can check out details here and email me for more information.